Thursday, September 10, 2009

Anime convention... done.

I'm told by many that the point of going to an anime convention is the social aspect of being able to get to know more people like yourself. While I do meet one or two people each year I find interesting, the majority of con goers annoy the shit out of me. I get a unique view into the culture from the perspective of one who runs the anime and makes sure no one is sleeping/making out/having sex/whatever, and being that gives me a bit of an elevated view of the beast aptly dubbed fanboy/fangirl.

This year was a bit more interesting than last only because of the things I found in the rooms while cleaning them and straightening them up. Oh, and waking the sleepers in fun and annoying ways.

Do tell...

The first odd find was a rolled up used baby diaper sitting on one of the seats of theater 4. I looked at it and asked myself, is that what I think it is? The woman sitting back a few seats commented on how horrible it was and thanked me for getting rid of it. One of the rooms in particular had an L shape, so part of the room had nothing in it. When it's dark in there, you can't see anything in that corner. Many interesting things showed up there. I found a freshly used condom. Though a really cutesy show was on at the time so I'm a bit confused by that one. There was a used joint that I had to get hotel security to dispose of. How no one noticed it I have no clue. A fellow vid staffer said he'd found a giant bottle of sake there too.

We didn't have an allotted time to let the equipment cool down this year, so we were having trouble with some of the projectors. Very minor problem there. While I was cleaning once, I came upon a couple making out in one of the viewing rooms. They were surrounded by junk and I had to sort out which was theirs while their lips were locked together. If they thought that gibberish they were spouting while tonguing each other was in any way intelligible, they were sorely mistaken.

All in all, it was a good year, though many glitches did occur. I thought it was going to be horrible as I was going into it with a fever of over 103. Then one of my roommates flooded the floor. Another stormed out early Saturday and checked out. All of our room keys stopped working after that, which was troublesome. The flood girl's boyfriend was apparently sleeping outside our door for the first night. That struck me as being both odd and very sad at the same time.

I was hesitant to go back again, but I like a good challenge and I did meet some new people I found to be very interesting. For now though, I continue my life on the net, with the occasional break for TV/wc/food (if I remember to eat, that is). I'm looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment