Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Growth of Cynicism

I notice as I get older, everything becomes more doubtful and negative. While this makes ranting more interesting, I wonder what I may be lacking in following my self proclaimed "realist" view. There's a saying that ignorance is bliss, but if one is learned and is always in the pursuit of seeking knowledge, one is screwed. I've personally tried to erect a nice facade of ignorance to suit others views of what I should be. That facade only hurt and caused me to distance myself from others. So what is one to do if one is intelligent and well read? The answer is quite simple; learn sarcasm and cynicism. It might come easier than expected!

Do tell...

I was told many times as a child that I look down too much. I was told I looked like I was depressed and if I just looked up I'd feel much happier. I tried that and came to the decision that the sun is too bright and I hate fluorescent lighting. Only a few years ago I read a caption to a web comic called Ozzy & Millie that said "When I look down, I miss all the good things in life; but when I look up, I just trip over things." This clicked with me instantly. Finally, a viewpoint consistent with my own experiences and that I understand! Now, I not only follow the path of scientific enlightenment; I follow the path of cynicism, curious disbelief, and general misanthropy. Call it a bad personality or a "problem" if you will. I call it a life choice.

More on this later if I feel the need...

No comments:

Post a Comment