Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Collective Mindset

Though many have criticized me for it, I have an obsession I don't know that I want to control. I see it in everyone I meet, but it takes on a different form in every individual. I love to collect things. I could write pages upon pages of things I've sought out in my lifetime. I have always picked up pennies off the ground, I have a rather large whisker collection (enough to fill the faces of more than 10 cats), and I collect things as inane as soda can tabs. It may be odd, but one can learn quite a bit from the brick-a-brack people like to keep around. There's also a deeper meaning behind all of this.

Do tell...

I've been "encouraged" to reduce the amount of some of my larger collections due to space issues. Now that I have lessened the things I own, I find myself missing them. I've noticed this causes me to hold onto what I have left much more, even though I have more than enough to sustain me. It's my stuff, and I want to keep it.

I wondered if this was just a quirk of mine, or if it was something many other people share. I searched around the net a bit, and realized that just about everyone who CAN get their hands on something, will do what they can to obtain it. Many philosophies of life see this as a weakness of human nature, and that one can become stronger by giving up the things one finds most enjoyable in life. I can see how this would make you appreciate everything you have even more, but is it really a flaw?

I've been told that the only things I should struggle to keep or fight for are the basic necessities. All one needs in life is food, water, and shelter. I was told that this is how the animals live and that we're weak if we can't. What about community? My lovebirds couldn't live without each other, nor could my rats. What of love? Procreation is essential in the continuation of a species, and is in turn made more enjoyable. I've had pets that wouldn't share their toys, get jealous over another pet, even openly agitate another seemingly out of spite. I've also noticed that the more intelligent an animal is, the more they are prone to these behaviors.

As humans are the best tool-users and one of the smartest species in the world, wouldn't this mean that it's only natural to crave more? Why must humanity overcome human nature, when so often it is used as an excuse? I'm not arguing this to justify having about a dozen used batteries on my desk (for some reason), but is it so wrong as to force oneself to go against natural desires? This topic is bordering on theology and the stigmas of civilized society. Though it is apparently a must for survival, as we are a community seeking beast, I still find myself straying from the pack on this topic. I guess this is better left to discuss when I'm not running a fever and am up at 4:30am (again, for some reason).

I must find away to learn more about philosophy without being evangelized, and human nature without getting into societal conflicts and politics. I tend to try to avoid cyclic arguments. I don't want to shun my obsessive collection, because the thing I enjoy obtaining the most is knowledge. I couldn't live with giving that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment