Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Apocryphal Fantasies

I was going to rant about something more tangible considering my last post, but my wants don't necessarily line up with my "creative juices," so to speak. Instead, I'll ponder with you another one of my side-line curiosities of human nature. I've seen many shows, commercials, and other forms of advertising that all claim or strive to "make lives better." This isn't really a bad thing per se, as with television, people want to sit down and have an experience they can leave satisfied with. I completely understand that humanity struggles to find its place in the universe and feel if not a sense of joy, then maybe something lighter. My only problem lies with the extent of which people are trying to push this to and the methods they use.

Do tell...

News is there to frighten you into believing that one must heed their reports in order to survive in this crazy and depraved world. It gets the producers and television companies money and in-turn makes them "happier." The viewers are supposed to leave with a sense of accomplishment that they are better informed and therefore, their lives will be improved. Ads selling various forms of objects and consumables all claim that you can't live without these products. Their "stuff" will make you cooler, taller, stronger, more attractive, et al. These ideals are great, but what it boils down to is an artificial lump at the deepest core of reality. Perfection in life does not exist.

Some may say this is just pure negativity, but I don't see it as that. Reality is ebb and flow, push and pull, give and take. One cannot achieve happiness without sadness or loss, but no one is going to buy into something that makes them more depressed. I've read many books about theoretical utopia and heard many a song about paradise. It all seems fake. This eternal lust for perfection in life just leads to stress, want, greed, and eventually apathy and discontent. Many have lost sight of what they have while seeking what they think they need. Though I do not admit myself any better at seeing this than most, it still bugs me to this day. I would rather not strive for a utopia in this world, just for life to suck a little less sometimes.

I wonder if anyone has found their own utopia. It seems like it's not something you can find if you search for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment