Sunday, July 26, 2009

Doctor Rant v2.0

I went in for my 'yearly' the other day along with the fever, cold sore, swollen tonsils, and the many infections I have going on. I have the first appointment of the day and was there 5 minutes before my appointment time. After the 30 minute wait for I don't know what, I'm finally taken back. A nurse weighed me and then took my temperature and blood pressure. All standard except for the fact that she didn't tell me what any of the stats were. She took me to a room and asked my why I'm here. I prattled of everything fairly efficiently and she left saying the doctor would be in soon.

Do tell... continue.

This is a new doctor for me, my old one left and referred me to her. I have no idea why though. The doctor gets in and can't figure out how to operate the light over the bed. That's a good sign. Then she drops a utensil that was recently removed from its hygienic packaging on the floor. She picks it up and sets it back with everything else. I'm clad the nurse was there to notice and get a new one. Fast forward, worst 'yearly' ever, but it's over.

I then ask for my results of my previous 2 blood work samples. She shuffles through my files and can't find them. So I start talking about the illness I've been suffering as of late, of which I apparently gave to my boyfriend. Hopefully he gets a better doctor. She fumbles through my files again and says everything looks fine. I ask her what the stats were when I was first brought in. “Oh” she replied and prattled off my weight, blood pressure, and temperature. I instantly saw a problem with two of the values. First thing out of her mouth was “I see you've lost 2 pounds since I last saw you... that's great!” I wanted to shove my file... well... use your imagination. I point out that I'm running a fever of 100.8 and my blood pressure is low. I show her my infections and describe how I've been feeling. She then said, “Oh, it sounds like you're sick.” I just about died inside.

I tried hard to resist the urge to slap her and say “No shit Sherlock! Last time I checked, I was told you're a doctor, but I could be mistaken...” I calmed myself and asked her what I should do. She then said “It's probably viral, so don't worry about it.” I then coughed a barking cough and she said, “Oh, you have a cough.” I said, “yeah, I've had it for over a week and my temperature reached 102.7 at one point.” It was her comment after this that I decided she was just another quack and this wasn't going to get anywhere no matter what I do. She said, “I'm sorry you have a cough. I'm going to go talk to my supervisor and see where those labs went.” Yeah.... you do that.

She comes back and said they were both normal and everything looks good. She shoved papers in my hands, instructed me how to get to the checkout counter, and then promptly left the room. If I see her again it will be in passing while I'm around waiting to see a different doctor. I'm probably going to look into seeing a different clinic too. Seriously, is the hardest part of med school being able to afford the tuition? I can't believe that some of these dolts could have passed anything more difficult than a ninth-grade science class.

Again, doctors wonder why people refuse to see them unless they absolutely have to. The insurance companies and now those who practice medicine are causing those that need said services not to pursue them. How could we let things go this far? My cynical view of the world is yet again reinforced.

1 comment:

  1. What do you call the lowest person in the graduating class at med school?

    Doctor.

    ReplyDelete