Monday, July 6, 2009

Well, Isn't it Ironic

Many occurrences as of late have been causing me to wonder if there is a luck based deity who finds causing tribulations in my life to be humorous. I'll tell someone one thing, and the exact opposite will happen. I go to do something routine, and I'm either injured, comically perplexed, or possibly soiled in some manner. At first, these coincidences were irritating me to no end. Now that I've been through enough to become numb to my horrid state, I look back at the events and chuckle a little inside.

Do tell...

Last night, I tried to brush my teeth with my mechanical toothbrush. I've been using my regular one for a while as my mechanical one ran out of energy and all the AA batteries we had were somehow depleted. Even the unopened ones were dead. I've never had that happen before. Anyhow, I purchased some new batteries and placed them into my toothbrush and began brushing. Not but a minute later, I found I was in moderate pain as my lip caught in the mechanism. It was pinching and rotating a small portion of my lower lip rather painfully. I turned it off and looked at the injury. It added yet another blood blister to my already sore mouth. I had apparently suffered from a nightmare two nights before and bit myself several times. My toothbrush is dangerous.

For another frustration, I turn to the operating that everybody loves to hate, Windows Vista. I don't mind the system much, I just wish developers would just accept that it's the new OS and program for it. Well, I've had trouble upgrading it to service pack 1. When I installed it, my internet adaptor would stop working. I finally fixed this problem by the time service pack 2 came out. I immediately upgraded and right after it finished, I received a warning from Windows. My C: drive apparently only had 200MB left one it. Yes, SP1 and 2 were approximately 8 GB is size. As I soon found out, similar to what I mentioned before, there weren't any programs able to expand the partition without deleting half the drive. I called it a night and told myself I would fix it tomorrow.

I felt fresh as I woke up the next day and decided I would put the energy to reviving my now slowing computer. I researched what I could do for about 3 hours. The conclusion people in a similar situation came to was to run a linux boot disk and move the partitions with that. I thought it odd being a completely different OS, but it sounded simple enough. I just needed to burn a CD and boot it up. Two hours of laborious searching later, I found some empty CDs and was getting ready to burn. I clicked on my burning application and my computer crashed. Another hour later, I found the disk that came with the burner, installed it, and I was ready to go. My computer then informs me that all of the CDs I put in were unusable and/or corrupt. The burner that I rarely ever use chose to die at the most inopportune moment. I eventually got everything working with the use of another computer, several more programs, and a few days worth of fairly intense frustration. I get the feeling my computer hates me.

Vehicles can be a major source of frustration, but they are a neccissary evil. I named my little red Civic "Shippo." The name comes from a little cartoon fox I fell in love with many years ago. I knew that Shippo's timing belt needed to be replaced, and the valves needed to be adjusted, so I set a month I would take it in and planned on the amount it was appraised for. Then, it being summer in Texas, my air conditioning went from being weak to completely failing. That and a few other occurrences of everyday life set the repair back two months. This would just so happen to land the repair time on the date my inspection and registration stickers expire. I push the date back another month and then realize I need my oil changed and the fuel filter replaced. Shippo's "injuries" were finally saved up for about five months after the original date, but it's been fixed. A maxed out credit card, two cleaned out bank accounts, and almost half the value of the car later, I'm driving with confidence. Nervousness overcame me a few days later when an odd warbling noise was emitted from the engine compartment. Shippo must hate me.

Not all oddities in occurrence are necessarily bad. I've been turning down playing with a small band with friends and relatives because my electric piano had a bad speaker. I figured it was a short or some crossed wires, and I'm sure I'll have it fixed next time some disposable income comes my way. At least, this is what I though after heading home after a get-together with said friends and relatives. I sighed and turned on my piano and plucked out a few notes feeling a bit forlorn. To my surprise, the sound came out as clear as day. My piano has revived itself for me! I wish all of my possessions would take a lesson from this show of loyalty.

For now, rather than dreading what may come, I await what the schizophrenic nature of life has to throw at me. Hopefully, it makes for some good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment